As you may well have heard on the news, the Government has today launched a consultation entitled ‘Making Flexible Working the Default’. The consultation seeks views on a set of proposals which are built around the principle that working arrangements are best decided through a constructive, open-minded discussion between employer and employee. The consultation seeks views on the following:
- The introduction of a right to request flexible working from day one of employment
- Whether to reduce the current 3-month timescale for considering flexible working requests
- Whether the limit of one flexible working request per year is still the best balance between individual and business needs
- Requiring employers to suggest alternatives where an employee’s request cannot be accommodated
- Whether the eight business reasons for refusing a request for flexible working remain valid
- Introducing one week’s unpaid leave for carers balancing a job with caring responsibilities
To read or take part in the consultation click here.
The consultation closes on 1 December 2021.